Tax Preparation Tips February 11th, 2011 No Comments

Do I need my W-2’s to file my taxes?
Yes, you need to ensure that you have all of the needed documents including all of your W-2, Wage and Tax Statements from each of your employers.

When should I receive my W-2?
Employers have until January 31, 2011 to send out the 2010 W-2 earning statements.

What should I do if I don’t receive my W-2?
There are a few steps you should take, if you have not received your W-2.
1. Call your employer to inquire if they mailed out your W-2. They may have mailed it to the wrong address and it may have been returned to them. Allow a reasonable amount of time for them to resend or reissue the W-2.
2. If you don’t receive the W-2 by February 14th, contact the IRS at 1-800-829-1040. Be prepared to provide the following information:
a. Your name, address, city, state and zip code, telephone number and your social security number.
b. Employer’s name, address, city and state, zip code and telephone number.
c. Dates of employment
d. Your final pay stub or leave-and-earnings statement, if possible to provide an estimate of the wages you earned, how much federal income tax was withheld

If I haven’t received my W-2 and I contacted the IRS, do I still need to file on time?
Yes, you must file your tax return by April 18, 2011 or ask for an extension. If you don’t receive W-2 and you have contacted the IRS, you may use Form 4852, Substitute for Form W-2. You must attach this form to your return. This will estimate the income and withholding taxes as accurately as possible. Please note there may be a delay in your refund while the information is being verified.
I filed my taxes with a Form 4852 Substitute for Form W-2 and received my W-2 later, what should I do now?

In the event you receive your missing W-2 after you file your return and the information is different from what you reported, you must amend your return by competing Form 1040X, Amended U.S. Individual Income Tax Return.
Where can I find Form 4852 or Form 1040X?
You can locate these forms on our site under Forms, or you can download them directly from the IRS at

Leave a Reply

XHTML: You can use these tags: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>